Looking for a way to improve your path towards a more sustainable future? We are here to help! Our innovative 18/8 Stainless Steel Straws are designed to help you cut down on plastic waste, making a huge impact on the environment.
8 million metric tons of plastic waste end up in the ocean in a single year.
We use 500 MILLION plastic straws EVERYDAY in the US alone.
US consumption = enough straws to wrap around the earth’s circumference 2.5x a day!
A plastic straw takes upwards of 200 years to biodegrade.
Why metal straws?
We are living in a time when businesses and consumers alike are beginning to think more critically about the environmental impacts of day-to-day choices. There are an estimated 500 MILLION plastic straws used daily in the US alone. Although they take seconds to make, and minutes to use, they will spend hundreds of years degrading. Plastic accounts for around 10% of all waste generated, and 80% of ocean pollution enters from the land. With social campaigns asking businesses to #stopsucking and #skipthestraw, businesses are examining what alternatives exist. While paper straws are the most commonly selected plastic alternative, they are criticized for losing structural integrity in a drink, while still producing single-use waste. The option that is the most sustainable while still ensuring the best guest experience is a metal straw. Though it may seem minimal, switching from plastic straws, and offering food-grade sustainable steel straws to guests both during service and for purchase, makes a huge impact.
But won’t it be too expensive?
It is a fact that metal straws are more expensive than plastic. Plastic is cheap, which is why it has become such an environmental detriment--it’s just simply easier to throw away and make a new, rather than reusing or even recycling. Yet, more and more companies are committing to reducing their environmental impact by eliminating their use of the plastic straw (Starbucks, Hilton Hotels, Marriott Hotels, Disney, etc). The two biggest concerns when switching to metal is the initial burden of cost, and preventing loss from sticky fingered staff and guests. The food-grade stainless steel Healthy Human straws are competitively priced, making them very affordable to implement. Additionally, it has been statistically proven that people are less likely to steal restaurant property when it is listed for sale. This said, to reduce loss, it is recommended to also sell the straws as retail to guests. The competitive price combined with the Healthy Human support for in house retail sales, can make these metal straws not only plastic comparable in yearly expense, but also a potential revenue source.
Caring for your straws:
- Keeping straws clean and sanitary for your guests is easier than you may think: We recommend ordering enough straws to last through a single shift.
- Soak used straws in sanitation water for at least one hour.
- Run through industry-grade dishwasher.
- Air dry up right.
What more can you do in your bar or restaurant?
- Don’t burn the ice in the well. Reduce water waste by using spent ice to water plants or to chill wine buckets.
- Cocktail quality control can still be sustainable: consider keeping a metal straw in a glass of Sanitizer at your bar station for Tasting your drinks.
- Instead of in-house menu printing, consider other formats that may include digital media, chalk boards, etc.
- Instead of disposable cocktail napkins, consider recycling old menus.
- Consider efficiency ratings of equipment (ice machines, dishwashers).
- Making ice molds/blocks is the most water efficient.
- Consider batching or drafting pre-diluted cocktail to reduce water waste.
- Recycle and compost where available, but please adhere to proper disposal methods. Non recyclable/compostable items can contaminate the process.
- Use paper to-go containers.
- Stop using STYROFOAM and plastic bags.